Monday, October 28, 2013

Results are everything!

There is nothing more frustrating that moving yourself out of the habit of being lazy and sitting on the couch, only to get no results.  This is what began happening after I first started going to the gym a few months ago.  Three times a week for almost two months and nothing to show for it.  I didn't look any different.  I didn't feel good.  In fact I felt worse than before I got off the couch.  The burst of energy never really came.

Then I decided that I would research the body and look more into what I needed.

I went to blogs, websites, books. You name it, I looked into it.  The downside is that you looking into information on health is a deep dark hole of confusion that will suck your soul away if you let it.

I had to determine my goal.  For me, weight loss is the key.  I can't ever remember being below 20% body fat and can only remember one time that I got below 25% years ago.  My personal goal has become to get myself below 20% body fat by September 2014.

This is similar to my goal I started with in August, but much more specific.  In August, I simply said I wanted to lose 20 pounds by the end of the year.

The research also led me to realize that walking and cardio will not get me where I want to go.  Being a tad on the lazy side, I had a deep desire to find the most efficient and best way to accomplish what my goal.  I began to see that lifting weights was going to be required.  I had lifted weights when I played football in high school and although I build some muscle, it never led to me seriously bulking.  The way we lifted back then was not optimal.

The bulk of lifting programs have you working like crazy and working into a pain situation.  The one thing I've always known about myself is "if it hurts, I won't do it long."  So, with that in mind I felt like I had to ease into working out.  The problem with easing into weights is that you don't really accomplish anything by lifting super light.

I ended up finding a book that I mentioned a couple blogs ago, Bigger, Leaner, Stronger.  I have since been working this program and I am currently in my third week.

So what are my result?

Amazing!  By my standards at least.

I can see actual muscle growth already.  My arms and chest are the most noticeable changes.  I still have a lot of fat, and a lot of weight to lose, but the fact that I can actually feel myself getting stronger helps keep me going.  The muscles have toned so that I can feel them underneath my layer of fat in my stomach.  My legs are feeling great.  My energy is beginning to work its way up, although I have had a hard time with the diet portion of the program.  I still eat too much sugar and my wife and I are a bad influence on each other.  The, "I'm tired, want to order pizza" thing comes up too often.  But, even with that, I'm still getting results and seeing progress!

This is increasing my motivation to reign in the diet and to keep lifting!

The results are everything, because they become your motivation to continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment